Millennials — You Can Be Yourself Again...
Research shows that Millennials value “life balance” more than previous generations. This is a terrific change, and speaks to their level of self-awareness. Yet too many of them are increasingly anxious. While I have taught thousands of clients from age 4 to 94 over the past 40 years, in the past 5 years I have been increasingly teaching more young adults 18 to 34 to meditate.
Why are Millennials increasingly anxious?
Here are several reasons supported by current research:
- Social Media: pressure for Likes & Followers falsely equating with personal and social value (University of Pittsburgh research indicates the more time spent on social media the more likely to be depressed).
- Pressure to Succeed: pressure to be rich and successful before 30 (in one study 67% felt extreme pressure to succeed), as well as excelling at university or working full-time.
- Poor Sleep Quality: unrestful sleep and insomnia increase anxiety and upset emotional balance (according to the American Psychological Association 52% say their stress is so worrying it keeps them up at night).
- Brain Chemistry: research indicates that the brain chemistry between the ages of 18 and 25 is especially sensitive because of the still developing brain during those formative years. This can cause young adults to be particularly vulnerable to stress and anxiety. “...Brain scans show clearly that the brain is not fully finished developing until about age 25.” (NPR interview with Dr. Sandra Aamodt, neuroscientist and co-author of the book Welcome to Your Child's Brain)
- Coping Mechanisms: periods of high stress and anxiety tend to coincide with alcohol and recreational chemical use. Alcohol and drugs can upset and “...alter that delicate brain chemistry...and increase anxiety and stress.” (Drinkaware, an alcohol fact website)
And so they often reach out for help to reduce and overcome their anxieties. As one of my 20-year-old students put it — so they can “feel more like themselves” again.
I have taught hundreds of Millennials to meditate. Teaching Millennials to meditate is so important for the future of our world — to free up all the creativity and energy they have. I also have two beautiful children, 23 and 29 years old, who also meditate and remind me — as well as my own memories of course — of what it’s like during those accelerated growth years.
I’m here to help. I look forward to hearing from you.
~ Kelvin Chin
Here are a few comments from Millennials
expressed in their own words...
“It is incredible how effective this technique is. I haven’t felt this good in a long time. I still have some inner thoughts that somewhat bug me but they are slowly just becoming irrelevant. It’s freakin crazy! — It has given me an ability to pull back the curtain on my fears — that the way I felt wasn’t who I was. It has given me a perspective. Shows you who you are at your best. This is me. My real self. Shows you in a non-religious way who you really are. The anxiety is not who you are. I keep asking myself, ‘How did I run into this guy (Kelvin) who looks at this stuff the way I do?!’ Not over the top. He is down-to-earth, practical. I’m so thankful.”
— Sidney Covey, 21 years old
“Right now, I feel the best I’ve felt since the whole thing started. I thought I could never feel that way again...I can’t thank you enough for what you’ve done for me. I know I’m still not where I need to be, but I truly believe I will get there and start enjoying my life in the same way I used to.”
(Received after 2 months of meditation):
“I thought I’d get in touch as it’s been so long since we last spoke. I’ve been doing really well, have had barely any anxiety and have been getting on with my life. I’m excited about Christmas and realize that that wouldn’t be the case if it wasn’t for you. Thank you so much for everything!”
— Phil, 24 years old
“Kelvin’s meditation has helped me become at peace with myself. After dealing with some tragic events I was trying to find new ways to relieve my anxiety, I came across Kelvin’s website and contacted him immediately. From the beginning he was so helpful and extremely supportive and his meditation is so simple yet helpful. I feel much more relaxed and happier now and I couldn’t thank Kelvin enough.”
— Kiani, 21 years old
“Kel, I wanted to take a second to tell you how grateful I am for your guidance. These moments of meditation have truly brought me back to LIFE! I dealt with severe anxiety and fear for the last 7 years of my life. It would get worse and worse to the point where it was manifesting into my life physically constant headaches, low low energy to where all I wanted to do was crumble into a little ball there was a period of time where just being awake was a struggle. Keeping my body upright was almost impossible. I lost my Vision not literally but Im speaking in a sense of where I seen myself in the future and my business went down. I ended up homeless for a couple months sleeping in my car. I knew it was not a issue a doctor could fix. I Knew it was me. I starting fighting my way back in search of answers, and came across your page online. And after all the struggles I feel hope again, I feel clearer. Not 100% but I feel on track, I can see specs of my future again, not the full picture but before I couldn’t even see that. Most of all I feel like I’m learning how to be alive all over again. Thanks to you, Im learning how to slow down my life and be present, to enjoy every moment of it, and it feels UNBELIEVABLE! Thanks again Kel excited for the journey ahead.”
— Miguel Chavez, 27 years old
When I begin my day with meditation, it creates a solid, calm, clear, foundation for the day ahead. My abilities to think clearly and logically are heightened, my emotional stresses are lessened, and my anxiety is eliminated. When I end my day with meditation, a long hard day is cleared from my mind, and I’m able to look back on the day with a more rational train of thought. I used to suffer from anxiety attacks on almost a daily basis, and rarely do I ever feel them anymore. I truly owe it all to Kelvin and the skill set he has provided me for my lifetime. He has changed my life for the better, and with every meditation I feel stronger, wiser, happier, more wholesome, and aligned with my positive forward journey.
— Lily O'Dare, 26 years old